Monday 12 July 2010

Monday 12.07.2010

Another canine guest - a more sensible Lab,if that`s not too contradictory - and we were out relatively early as I had to go to work later. Relatively early but still warm enough for the flies to start buzzing round, necessitating the improvisation of a fly switch from lengths of cow parsley and dock.
Many many moons ago I took a driving test in a dusty little town in Uganda. The test simply entailed driving round the block, a three point turn and reversing into a parking space but my chief memory is of the solemn official dressed in a dark suit, standing on the street corner as I performed these manoeuvres,waving his splendid fly switch backwards and forwards in an authoritative sort of way.
It had a long tail made out of some kind of animal hair with a beautiful beaded handle and I`ve always regretted not bringing one home with me.
I passed, by the way, despite this distraction.

The dogs meanwhile ran round getting very hot, startling pheasants, chasing rabbits and having a thoroughly good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment