Friday 22 January 2021

Friday 22.01.2021

The weather was having a laugh yesterday. That thing about no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes?

Not yesterday. All day the weather sang or rather screeched:

  • you`re not coming out today
  • you`re not going to want to come out today
  • the dogs aren`t going to want to come out today
I did go out, in the dark, in the morning, to take the dogs around the top field, in horizontal rain whipped up by a vicious wind. And the level of disappointment I felt was ridiculous.

They`d promised snow at the beginning of the week and right up to the evening before, a thick fall of snow. I had new boots! My injured foot (long story) was completely healed. After days of drizzle I`d imagined blue sky, sparkling unsullied snow and a long march round, drinking in the icy fresh air.

Huh!  I spent the rest of the day hunkered down in a big comfy chair by the fire, alternately sulking and  glaring at the window as the weather taunted me, roaring round the house and wailing mainiacally. (Though I got a lot of reading done in between the tantrums)

By the end I felt 100 years older than I am, was cross with everything, had eaten too much and went too bed early.  And all because it didn`t snow when they said it would? 

Deep breath when I woke up this morning. Head out of the door. Better. Not perfect but better. Still no snow but no rain either. Dogs and me round the top field just as the light creeps up. No rain but a strong raw wind blows bullets of sleet and hail into our eyes. However, seem to have got over the disappointment and the day improves.  

And we get what felt like the first evening  walk of the year. Early evening, but evening nevertheless. Younger dog and I don`t set off until quarter to four. The clouds have lifted, the crows are wheeling round and in the woods there`s so much bird activity that it`s as if they`re enjoying the lengthening days too.





It was cold but no wind to speak of and still no rain. We squelched round in mud and rotten leaves, skidding a little on the odd icy patch. The temperature was falling as we turned onto the road and headed down the hill: we could almost hear the puddles crackling as they iced over.

As we enjoyed the last of the light, with a bright yellow demi-moon over our heads, there really was an intimation, if not of spring exactly, at least of   longer evenings to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment