Saturday 26 March 2011

Saturday 26.03.2011

Plans to scale Bennachie nearly scuppered by weather but by the time I`d finished first shift at work with a few hours to spare before the next one, the rain had eased so I went for it. But oh! How strange to walk without Dog. Would have been unfair to bring her as she`d have spent longer in the car than out of it but I missed the enthusiastic leaping out of the car, the `come-on-what-are-you-waiting-for`expression, the rushing on ahead but then coming back to check up on me.
Nevertheless a good tramp. Cold but still in the woods, cold and windy above the tree line.

Last few hundred feet were in the cloud: very atmospheric reaching the ancient fort at the top when the mist is swirling round.
I know it`s Pictish but I always imagine some woebegone Roman soldier,(there was a famous battle in the region) wrapped in a blanket, bemoaning Alba`s accursed weather and yearning for the warm slopes of Tuscany and a beaker of decent plonk.

Perhaps I should try my hand at historical fiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment