Saturday 15 May 2010

Saturday 15.05.2010


Today, a stunning May day, all buds, birds, blossom and general spring time bustle, dog and I walked the perimeter of the woods and I stress the word walked.
Sometimes, on a good walking day, blue sky, sunshine, fresh breeze etc etc, I get the urge to break into a gentle trot. It happened on Thursday: an unexpected holiday, a perfect day and there I was, jogging. Almost instantly I remembered why I don`t like jogging, resumed walking and mused on why anyone would actually choose to run unless they were
a) in a race
b) late for the train
c) exiting, pursued by bear
Serendipitously, when I got home, I read a quote from the artist David Hockney:
"I was sitting on a bench..watching the rabbits and the magpies. I lit a cigarette and three great big girls go jogging by, see me smoking and wag their fingers at me. They think they`re very healthy - they`re totally obsessed with their own bodies and never saw the rabbits or magpies. They think they`re healthy but I think I`m healthier."
Quite. As soon as I start `jogging` I`m concentrating on me, my body, my legs, my ankles, my breathing. Self-centred and frankly boring.
When I`m walking I`m concentrating on what`s going on around me, which is invariably more interesting and certainly healthier for my spirit.
So, no more jogging..........unless I happen to see a bear in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment