Sunday 3 January 2010

Sunday 03.01.2010



"Snow was falling snow on snow, snow on snow,in the bleak midwinter,long ago."
Used to sing that to the babies to get them to sleep. It was snowing on snow this morning,still no wind to speak of so just quietly piling up. We`re at the measuring/taking pictures stage as it hasn`t been this deep for years. Not bleak though. A bit grey this morning but then it stopped snowing, the sun came out and we were back into Winter Wonderland. Walked down past Grandma`s Picnic Corner to the road at the bottom of the hill, then round and up the back hill. Only do this walk once every year or so because there`s too much road but okay in these conditions. Haruki Murakami says that when he`s running he doesn`t "think much of anything worth mentioning".(`What I Talk About When I Talk About Running`)It`s the same when I`m walking, but, as Murakami goes on to explain, it doesn`t actually work quite like that:"I just run. I run in a void. Or maybe I should put it the other way: I run in order to acquire a void". He continues: "The thoughts that occur to me when I`m running are like clouds in the sky. Clouds of all different sizes. They come and go, while the sky remains the same sky as always." I rarely run - but I do walk pretty fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment